|| Sunday announcements
July 7 • 2019
• Youth Sunday
• 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Elder of the month: Pate Cardwell
- Greeters: Jane King and Sue Ann Lay
Acolyte: Lainey Reese Thomas
Nursery (if needed): Jane King and Carlie Sims
- Sound technicians: Marvin King and Al Sprouse
Projectionist: Devery Thomas
- Worship elder: Greg McNair
| ►Worship service in the sanctuary at 10 a.m. |
♦ Youth who attended Montreat Youth Conference June 2–8 will lead worship today.
■ God leads with love.
1 John 4:7–21
■ Love leads us to trust.
■ Love leads us to wholeness.
■ Love leads us to each other.
■ Love leads us out with joy.
Revelation 21:1–5; 22:1–3
— 9 —
• Adult Bible study, in room 2 in the annex, is led by Cheryl Jensen. They are continuing
“A Chronological Study of the New Testament.”
• Adult class, “Snacks With Susan and Daryl,” led by Susan and Daryl Pichoff,
is taking a break and will resume Aug. 25.
• Classes for children and youth will resume in September.
— 10 —
►Worship service in the sanctuary
Hearing assistance devices are available in the back of the sanctuary. Please see a greeter.
Fellowship time is taking July and August off. It will resume Sept. 8.
♦ We thank the youth who attended Montreat this summer and Pastor Kim Vanbrimmer of Orange Beach Presbyterian Church and Logan Lane of First Presbyterian Church of Foley for their planning and participation in our worship service today.
♦ The Lord’s Supper will be served by intinction today. Everyone is welcome at the table.
♦ Pastor Jody Beth and Jane Capsis will lead worship at Live Oak at 1 p.m.; all are invited and welcome to join us.
Pastor Keith continues his sabbatical leave. He will return to the office on July 15. We look forward to his return and pray that his heart ablation has helped heal his health concerns. Please keep him and Lisa in your prayers. If you have pastoral needs in the meantime, please contact Pastor Jody Beth, your deacon, an elder or the church office.
Sunday, July 7 — No chancel choir rehearsal
Sunday, July 7 — Food pantry collection day
Wednesday, July 10 — Food pantry distribution, 10 a.m. to noon
Wednesday, July 10 — Preschool board meeting, noon in room 2 in the annex
Friday, July 12 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Friday, July 12 — “ROAR! Life Is Wild — God Is Good!” Vacation Bible School starting at 5:15 through 8 p.m. (See below for more information below and find out how you can help or join in the fun.)
Saturday, July 13 — Vacation Bible school, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sunday, July 14 — The Rev. Bert Tuggle preaches at Swift; and VBS Sunday
Sunday, July 14 — Join the VBS participants and helpers for hot dogs and water slide fun after the 10:00 worship service. Everyone welcome!
Monday, July 15 — Welcome Back, Pastor Keith!
Monday, July 15 — Session will not meet this evening.
Thursday, July 18 — Butterfly Girls and Guys’ Night Out, 6:30 p.m. at Boggy’s on U.S. 98 just east of Weeks Bay/Fish River bridge. This is a new place, so if you need directions or want to make reservations, contact Mary McNair at 251-295-5267.
Friday, July 19 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m.
‘ROAR!’ VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
IS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
Vacation Bible school is coming up this week at Swift Church. Join us for “ROAR! Life Is Wild — God Is Good!” on Friday, July 12, from 5:15 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, July 13, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
This epic African adventure engages the whole herd. At Roar, kids explore God’s goodness and celebrate a ferocious faith that powers them through this wild life. We are going to have classes for preschool through sixth grade. The older youth are going to help.
We will have a water slide for the kids to fellowship and play Saturday afternoon as VBS finishes up, and then again Sunday after the children sing during the worship service. There will be a hot-dog lunch Sunday for the participants and the congregation.
Thank you to the many volunteers who have already signed up.
Sign up this weekend if you plan to attend or contact Brett Cardwell at 747-4036.
Registration forms are in the back of the sanctuary, and on our website.
►You can register online.◄
Next Sunday, July 14
Greeters: Danny and Paula Brewer
Acolytes: Zadie Grace and ZoeyLynn Barnwell
Time with the children: Cathy Rogers
Nursery: Ginny Kleinschmidt and Tara Morrow
SANCTUARY FLOWER SCHEDULING
Please contact Susie Alexander to reserve a date to honor a special occasion, birthday, anniversary, in memory of someone special, or just because you want to. You can reach Susie at 251-943-4145 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can sign up on the flower chart in the narthex or in the back of the chapel.
They don’t have to be an expensive bouquet or arrangement, but something out of your own garden can be just as beautiful. We have many open dates for this summer. We also have vases available if you would like to borrow one. Check with the church office.
• Birthdays — Cadi Cardwell is 9; Willard; Brett; Jack Rogers; Karen Croxell
• John and Marci Larson are back from Maine.
• Dee Williams, Dawn and Jeff “back home” here for a little while to “check out the heat”
• Baby in Georgia OK after being found in plastic bag
• Heather and Neil Myer and children Lacey and Laura here from Michigan to visit Lisa and Pastor Keith
• Don and Jeanette from Honduras visiting Genevieve
• Kim Whitchard thanked everyone for cards and prayers during her recent hip surgery.
• Food pantry items paid for by “Good Samaritan”
A FEW MORE NOTES . . .
● Copies of Our Daily Bread and magazines are available at the back of the church.
● Please use the prayer request cards found in the pews to add someone to our “joys and concerns” list. You can submit prayers and joys online through the church website.
● Written and audio copies of sermons can be found on the church website, www.swiftchurch.org.
| Please pray for our mission workers in Africa. |
• Inge and Larry Sthreshley
in Democratic Republic of Congo
| Please remember our military friends and families in your prayers. |
• Sgt. 1C Marc Barkley: Afghanistan
• SPC Seth Pickens: Afghanistan
• Zane Brewer: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• David Esparza: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• Jeffrey Cain: U.S. Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Fla.
• Jeremy Rechkemmer: U.S. Army in Stuttgart, Germany
• Cody Havel: U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Capt. Jeremy Timm: National Guard
• M.Sgt. Jason Rogers: U.S. Marine Corps, Nashville, Tenn.
SWIFT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Rev. Keith Cardwell, pastor (on sabbatical)
Jody Beth Melton, commissioned lay pastor: 251-213-6625
Lisa Cardwell, music director Ashley Cooper, preschool director
Church office: 251-943-8367 Preschool: 251-200-3840