|| Sunday announcements
Aug. 11 • 2019
19th Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Elder of the week: Mark Melton
- Greeters: Willard Penfold and Eunice Ray
Acolytes: ZoeyLynn and Zadie Grace Barnwell
Time with the children: Lynn Aspray
Nursery (if needed): Jane King
- Sound technicians: Marvin King and Al Sprgouse
Projectionist: Andrew King
- Worship elder: Greg McNair
“Learn To Do Good”
— The Rev. Keith Cardwell
♦ Scripture: Isaiah 1:17
♦ Pick a hymn — Place your request
on the paper insert in your bulletin.
♦ Fellowship lunch today after 10:00 service.
Everyone is welcome.
— 8 a.m. —
►Worship service in the historic chapel
— 9 —
■ Sunday school:
• Adult Bible study, in room 2 in the annex, is led by Cheryl Jensen. They are continuing
“A Chronological Study of the New Testament.”
• Adult class, “Snacks With Susan and Daryl,” led by Susan and Daryl Pichoff,
is taking a break and will resume Aug. 25.
• Classes for children and youth will resume in September.
■ Chancel choir rehearsal in the music room
— 10 —
►Worship service in the sanctuary
Hearing assistance devices are available in the back of the sanctuary. Please see a greeter.
• After “Time with the children,” those in preschool and younger may go to the nursery.
• Children’s church for grades K–4 will resume in September.
— After 10:00 worship —
Come and bring a friend.
■ Printed copies of the August newsletter are available in the back of the church, along with copies of “Beginnings” from the Presbyterian Home for Children.
■ Thanks to Mark Melton and those who helped prepare the lunches for the teachers and staff at Elberta Elementary School this past week, and also for his leadership in arranging our fellowship lunch today after the 10:00 service.
■ Blessing of the backpacks and teachers/staff appreciation will be today at both services.
■ The four at-large members of the 2019 nominating committee elected last Sunday are Lynn Barnwell, Betty Carneal, Jane King and Willard Penfold. Please be receptive to serve as a church officer if you are called. Elders and deacons also will elect members to serve on the committee.
■ Fellowship time will resume Sept. 8 after a summer break.
Wednesday, Aug. 14 — Food pantry distribution, 10 a.m. to noon; volunteers are Betty Carneal and Sue Johnson. If you are able to sign up to help fill sacks or distribute food, please contact Brenda Dombrowski, who is now putting together a list of helpers.
Thursday, Aug. 15 — Butterfly Girls and Guys Night Out at the Warehouse in Robertsdale (the former VFW building at 18475 U.S. Highway 90). To review their menu, visit https://warehouse-al.com, then click “menus” in top banner. Please confirm plans to attend with Mary McNair by calling or texting her at 251-295-5267, or if you need a ride.
Friday, Aug. 16 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Monday, Aug. 19 — Session meeting, 6:30 p.m. in room 2 in the annex
Tuesday, Aug. 20 — Presbytery of South Alabama summer meeting, 8:30 a.m. at Foley First. Those attending from Swift are Pastors Keith and Jody Beth, and Elder Pate Cardwell and Clerk of Session Sue Ann Lay.
Wednesday, Aug. 21 — Adult handbell choir rehearsal resumes, 5:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 23 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Friday, Aug. 23 — Newsletter deadline
Sunday, Aug. 25 — “Snacks with Susan and Daryl” Sunday school class resumes with Adam Hamilton’s “The Call,” which details the journeys and teachings of Paul, the apostle. They meet in the fellowship hall with lively conversations and discussions — plus yummy snacks!
|• Welcome to visitors |
If you are a first-time visitor, we would like to welcome you with a “welcome bag” that includes information about our church plus some goodies. Swift Church is known for our hospitality and we want to get to know and welcome you. We hope you will come back to visit and will want to become a part of our church.
PLAY SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED
Dec. 15 — Christmas program
Dec. 24 — Christmas Eve
March — TBD
April 8 — Maundy Thursday
April 9 — Good Friday
April 12 — Easter Sunday
May — TBD
| We appreciate our volunteers |
Next Sunday, Aug. 18
Greeters: Lynn and Mike Barnwell
Acolyte: Sully Curry
Time with the children: Pate Cardwell
Nursery (if needed): Ginny Kleinschmidt and Tara Morrow
If you would like to reserve a date to provide flowers for our Sunday morning services, you can:
■ call Susie Alexander at 251-943-4145
■ sign up on the flower chart in the narthex or in the back of the chapel
■ or contact the church office at 943-8367 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have many open dates for this summer. We also have vases available if you would like to borrow one to make your own arrangement.
• Happy Birthday to Al Sprouse.
• Happy Anniversary to Pastor Keith
for 11 years as our pastor.
• Tina Sprouse was in church
and reported liver tumors have shrunk.
• Diya’s best friend doesn’t have cancer.
• Tony Whitchard’s back ablation went well
and Kim thanked everyone for cards and prayers
during her recent hip replacement surgery.
A FEW MORE NOTES . . .
● Copies of Our Daily Bread and magazines are available at the back of the church.
● Please use the prayer request cards found in the pews to add someone to our “joys and concerns” list. You can submit prayers and joys online through the church website.
● Written and audio copies of sermons can be found on the church website.
|Pray for our mission workers in Africa. |
• Inge and Larry Sthreshley
in Democratic Republic of Congo
|Pray for military friends and families. |
• Sgt. 1C Marc Barkley: Afghanistan
• SPC Seth Pickens: Afghanistan
• Dennis Trey Brown: U.S. Army, Afghanistan
• Zane Brewer: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• David Esparza: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• Jeffrey Cain: U.S. Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Fla.
• Jeremy Rechkemmer: U.S. Army in Stuttgart, Germany
• Jeremy Linn
• Cody Havel: U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, Fla.
• M.Sgt. Jason Rogers: U.S. Marine Corps, Nashville, Tenn.
SWIFT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Rev. Keith Cardwell, pastor: 251-923-6961
Jody Beth Melton, commissioned lay pastor:
Lisa Cardwell, music director
Abby Sikes, preschool director
Church office: 251-943-8367